Coming home to discover fire or water damage is a nightmare scenario for most property owners. Often, property owners respond by calling their insurance company to verify coverage and understand the next steps.

While your insurance company may recommend a firm to remediate and repair the damage—and even offer to send a representative out to prepare a quote—don’t feel pressured to use their suggested vendor. The property owner always has the final say about who gets the job, not the insurance company.

Think about it this way: Depending on the scope of the work, remediation and repair techs could be spending days and even weeks in your home. You want to make sure you feel comfortable with the workmanship and the workers themselves.

So how should you go about choosing a restoration company? Consider these tips:

  • Find a company certified by the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC).
  • Get recommendations from other tradespeople.
  • Ask the fire department.

Find a Company Certified By the IICRC

When it comes to mold, fire or water damage, traditional cleaning services are not going to cut it. Remediation requires specialized tools, protective gear and years of experience. Technicians study for months to pass the rigorous tests required for certification by the IICRC, the nonprofit organization for professionals in the home and commercial restoration sector.

The IICRC website has an easy-to-use restoration company finder to help locate specialists with these qualifications, and more: 

  • Fire and Smoke Restoration Technician 
  • Mold Removal Specialist
  • Water Damage Restoration Technician

Get Recommendations from Plumbers and Other Tradespeople

Plumbers often discover leaks responsible for water damage during routine jobs. But when water seeps into the floorboards or even the walls, specialized help is key. Water damage typically extends beyond what is visible on the surface—and left to permeate structures, moisture inevitably turns into mold.

Often taking root in dark, out-of-the-way places like under carpet or floorboards and inside walls, mold spreads quickly and can cause a host of serious health problems.

If the scope of water damage in your home is beyond the ability of your regular plumber or handyman, ask if they know anyone who specializes in remediation and restoration. Knowing that you trust them for a referral means you are likely to get a solid recommendation.

Ask the Fire Department

If your home sustained fire damage but is still standing, it’s possible you have the fire department to thank for their help. By the very nature of their work, firefighters often work with remediation and restoration companies to decide when a structure is safe for residents to return.

After a fire, industrial fans, dehumidifiers and cleaning products are required to abate residual smoke and restore air quality to acceptable levels. In severe cases, drywall and flooring will need to be replaced.

No one wants to find mold, water or fire damage in their home, but you’ll feel better having found the right person for the job.

To speak with IICRC-certified specialists in mold, fire or water damage remediation, call Restoration 1 of Central Denver at (720) 524-4680.

Author: John Rust

Author: John Rust

John Rust, Owner of Restoration 1 of Central Denver has been in the exterior and interior restoration industry for 12 years. His background includes exterior building products including roofing and siding, as well as interior restoration and reconstruction. John's experience encompasses field, sales and operations in both industries and currently manages all daily business and operations for Restoration 1 of Central Denver.